Thursday, November 5, 2009

Observe and Reserve

"My son, give attention to my wisdom, incline your ear to my understanding; that you may observe discretion, and your lips may reserve knowledge." Proverbs 5:1-2

My first love was Miss Hamm, my first grade teacher. It was her first year to teach school and my first year to go to school, a match made in Heaven. She had that 1950's "Sarah Palin look" goin' on; pony tail, glasses, and penny loafers. She was pretty and I was smitten. It was a case of terminal puppy love. Don't ever underestimate it. It is real to the puppy.

Reflection on my baby steps into halls of academia leads me to believe she had a thing for me too. I recall I was in her class for less than a week, and Miss Hamm had me move my desk up front right next to hers. There I was sitting to the right of the new teacher, in front of the class and feeling pretty good about myself. At lunch, the same thing, Miss Hamm would pull me away from my buds, and invite me to sit next to her at her table to eat with her until recess. When she divided the class into Red Bird and Blue Bird reading groups, I was seated right next to her for both sessions. This happened every day.


Only a cynic would think that Miss Hamm was doing this because I had a learning disorder. I do remember my mother telling me when I went off to school for the first day of class that I was going to have to pay attention. I asked her how much it was going to cost. What she said next was ominous, "You're about to find out!" Now that I think about it, I'm becoming a little conflicted about my first love.


The message of Proverbs 5 is filled with ominous words for the person who is chronically inattentive. Wisdom is knowing the right thing to do and having the courage to do it at the right time. Those who do not pay attention to words of wisdom are destined to pay an even higher price when they get the bill for the consequences.


Giving attention is described as an act of inclining one's ear to gain understanding. It is an act of humility. The willingness to lean in close to hear a hushed voice speak something precious is evidence of a relationship that is treasured as much as the advice. The old TV commercial will remind some of you what this looks like. Two men are talking about personal finances in a crowded room. One man says to the other, "My broker is E.F.Hutton, and E.F. Hutton says...." The next shot is a view of the room with everyone leaning anxiously towards the sound of his voice, ready to seize on the next words to come out of his mouth.


"Rules without relationship always breed rebellion." I do not know the source of the quote, but I do believe in the truth of it. Wisdom is not gained by memorizing a list of rules. It is obtained by gaining understanding that the rules were meant to help not to harm. If there is no relationship that has been cultivated between the giver and the receiver of the rules, then the rules do not lead to wisdom. They become fuel for the fires of a relentless rebellion. The rule breaker will try to destroy the very thing that was meant to help.


To "observe discretion" requires an elevated perspective on life. My wife and I recently ascended a 21 story observation tower to gain the lay of the land around Hot Springs, Arkansas. We could easily see where we had been, and where we needed to go to reach our next destination. The journey was not just a series of right and left turns into the unknown. As we got back in our car, the higher elevation had given us a deeper appreciation of the directions people had given us to get from one point of the city to another. Proverbs 5 is a reminder that unless you get a higher view of what God has in store for you, then you will become the victim of your own poor choices.


The challenge to "reserve knowledge" can be described by rebooting our memory to recall one of the earliest computer proverbs, "Garbage in. Garbage out." A computer can only provide what it has been given. What has been steadily dripped into a person will eventually spew out of their mouth. Hearing, reading, studying, memorizing and meditating on the Word of God has been described as five fingers of the same hand. The more fingers placed on the wisdom of God, the greater the grip on it. Some people have a one finger touch on wisdom. They need to get a grip.


Proverbs 5 issues a call to "Observe and Reserve." Observing discretion, is a matter of applying God's wisdom to daily living. It is built upon the knowledge that 'God is love." The response from the lips of an obedient child to the ears of The Father will be, "Yes, Lord." To say, "No!" is a rebellious rejection of the relationship not just the rules. Take time today to observe and reserve the words of wisdom that will lead you away from poisoned wells disguised as fresh water.



GMillerLight4U

No comments:

Post a Comment